The appointment of a new vice-chancellor in Unilag has been a big story lately. Today I will talk about Folasade Ogunsola Biography, the first female Vice Chancellor of the University of Lagos.
Welcome the new vice-chancellor of the University of Lagos to her position. For her, being the first woman vice-chancellor of the prestigious University of Lagos just as Prof. Adenike Oladiji (First Female Vice-Chancellor of FUTA) is a really surprising and amazing thing.
Folasade Tolulope Ogunsola Is an excellent example for women who may feel they lack the ability or confidence to pursue careers usually dominated by men.
There is a general seed of greatness that she maintains and cultivates.
|Real Name||Folasade Tolulope Ogunsola|
|Date Of Birth||1958|
|Age||64 years old|
Folasade Ogunsola Biography and Early Life:
She was born in 1958, and now 64 years old, and raised in the University of Ibadan, where her father, Akin Mabogunje, taught.
Prof. Folasade Ogunsola was a Professor of medical microbiology and Vice Chancellor at the University of Lagos in Nigeria.
She specializes her career in disease control, especially HIV/AIDS. Folashade Ogunsola, who served as provost of the College of Medicine at the University of Lagos, is said to have been the first woman to hold that position. Between the years 2017 and 2021, she also served as the university’s Deputy Vice Chancellor (Development Services). On August 24, 2020, the senate of University of Lagos elected her to serve as the institution’s acting vice chancellor.
I cannot write about Folasade Ogunsola Biography and not talk about her early Life and Education.
Queen’s College, Lagos was her alma mater. She attended University of Ife from 1974 to 1982, where she gained her first degree, then the College of Medicine at the University of Lagos for her master’s degree, and finally University of Wales for her PhD from 1992 to 2002.
Folasade Ogunsola Career:
- In the year 2020, Folasade Tolulope Ogunsola was already serving as the Acting Vice Chancellor of the University of Lagos.
- After the crisis that occurred when the Vice Chancellor was removed by the University Council, she was appointed to the position. Mr. Wale Babalakin, the pro-chancellor, and Prof. Oluwatoyin Ogundipe, the vice-chancellor, were both involved in the crisis.
- The University of Lagos Senate gathered on August 24, 2020, with 167 professors in attendance, and elected Professor Folasade Ogunsola as Acting Vice-Chancellor. Professor Ben Oghojafor, the Deputy Vice-Chancellor of Management Services, won 31 votes compared to her 135 votes.
- Before becoming the University’s Acting Vice Chancellor, she served as the University’s Deputy Vice Chancellor (Development Services).
- She had previously served as the University of Lagos’s provost of the College of Medicine. During her studies, she centered attention on the control and management of viral infections like HIV.
- She founded the Global Infection Prevention and Control Network and the Nigerian Society for Infection Control in 1998, making her a pioneer in both organizations.
- In addition, she has led the Lagos University Teaching Hospital’s Infection Control Committee as its chairperson. She also leads Nigeria’s medical schools as their association’s chairman.
- She has also worked in the field of infection control for over two decades (20 years) and has made substantial contributions to educating the public about the importance of the field in her own country of Nigeria. She helped establish infection control programs across Nigerian institutions and was a founding member of the Nigerian Society for Infection Control (formerly the Nigerian Infection Control Association, NICA) in 1998.
- She led the Nigerian team in charge of infection prevention and control during the 2014 Ebola pandemic as chair of the hospital’s infection control committee until 2012.
- Since 2009, she has served as an IPC consultant for the World Health Organization, and she is particularly interested in the use of Infection Control concepts in low-income settings.
- Recently, she and her group developed a course outline for a six-month Infection Control certificate program.
- She serves as the Chair of the Infection Control African Network and as a board member of the Nigerian Society of Infection Control.
Honour & Award
Among the many honors conferred upon Dr. Folashade are the Federation of European Microbiological Societies Overseas research Scholarship (1993), the Keystone Symposia Global Health Travel Award (2010), the Medical Women’s association of Nigeria Distinction in Medicine Award (2013), and the Distinguished Alumni Lecturer honor at the 7th Prof. T. Adesanya Ige Grillo Memorial Lecture at Obafemi Awolowo University, Nigeria, in May 2014.
Folasade Ogunsola Dissemination
Some of Prof. Folasade publication includes:
- Making PCR Ribotyping a Standardized Method for Typing Clostridium Difficile, 1996.
- Susceptibility of Acinetobacter species infections to 14 drugs at Lagos University Teaching Hospital, Lagos, 2002.
- Providers’ Attitudes Toward HIV-Positive Patients in Lagos State, Nigeria 2003
- Detection of Broad-Spectrum -Lactamase Enzymes in Lagos, Nigeria, Clinical Isolates of Enterobacter Species 2003.
- Predictors of ectopic pregnancies in Lagos, Nigeria, in 2005.
- Problems that males who have sex with other men face in Nigeria, in terms of their sexual health and societal acceptance, 2007.
- Nasal Staphylococcus aureus isolates were analyzed by pulsed field gel electrophoresis and correlated risk variables in 2007 from medical students at a tertiary hospital in Lagos, Nigeria.
Folasade Ogunsola Family
Prof. Folasade Ogunsola is happily married and blessed with kids.
Do you not think that somebody else may benefit from this post? If you found this useful, please use the share buttons below to spread the word. I thank you for taking the time to read this. You can ask us anything by posting a comment below.